We enjoy cooking in my household, but when summer comes around sometimes it’s too hot or we are busy with…
We enjoy cooking in my household, but when summer comes around sometimes it’s too hot or we are busy with fun activities that keep us on the go. Here are 5 tasty and simple supper recipes for you to enjoy during the summer months when it’s too hot to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. These supper recipes are perfect for families on the go. Enjoy.
Summer is here and so is an increase in the in temperature. No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen on a hot day with the oven going. No, you can’t hand them a pop tart or a box of cereal and tell them to get out of your hair, even when that is really what you would rather do. I invested in a George Foreman Grill, so in the summer, I spend a lot of time preparing food on that or using the grill outside. So take a look at these tips and see if you can’t manage to get out of the kitchen sooner and still give the kids a cheap and fast supper while you beat the heat.
1. Eggbeater Omelet – Pour you some southwestern eggbeaters into a pan, once it is done add some cream cheese and fold it over. Serve with some fresh fruit for a fantastic quick and easy meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
2. Salads are not only a great way to beat the summer heat but they are cheap and fast to make. You can do a basic lettuce and tomato if you want. Or you can dress it put some cheese, boiled eggs and a pack of sandwich meat. Serve with half an avocado stuffed with sour cream or cream cheese. Chill some fresh fruit and mix it for a nice cool fruit salad for dessert.
3. Chicken salad-Great for leftover chicken or I buy a precooked chicken at the store to save time, de-bone it, toss in some grapes and pecans, mix with low-fat-mayonnaise and a little honey mustard. You can serve this on a bed of lettuce, as a sandwich, a wrap and it makes a great panini as well.
4. BLT with a Twist. I keep cooked bacon on hand at all times. Mix together tomatoes, cucumbers, and mayonnaise and spread onto a whole-wheat wrap then layer some lettuce and bacon evenly over the wrap and roll up. Cut diagonally and serve with some fresh raw broccoli that you have sprinkled with lemon juice…yummy!
5. Pea salad. There is nothing better than a good pea salad. I take a can of early peas (English peas), drain them and add 2 boiled eggs, a small Vidalia onion finely chopped and ¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix it all together with some mayonnaise or ranch dressing and a hint of mustard and chill. Serve on a bed of lettuce with some boiled eggs and ham slices. This makes a great side dish as well.
Just follow these tips and you’ll be out of the kitchen in no time. Your wallet and your air conditioning will thank you now that you have taken the heat out of supper. Now you have fed them a nice cheap and fast supper every day and they are not complaining about it either. You will find that you feel better during the summer after a lighter meal as well as not being exhausted from the heat of the kitchen.